E-mail Hacking and Attempted Fraud
Here are measures you can take to avoid getting "hooked":
- Be alert to any unexpected e-mail, instant message, voicemail or fax regarding payment of school fees that claims to be from ISB. In the event that you do receive such a message, it's a good idea to first call the ISB Finance Department at +41 (0)61 567 34 21 (but not any number listed in the message) and verify whether the message is legitimate.
- Be assured that ISB will not ask you to disclose sensitive personal information in an unsolicited e-mail, telephone call or instant message.
- In case ISB owes you a refund, you will receive a request sent from firstname.lastname@example.org asking for your bank details including an explanation of the reason of the refund. The reason should always relate to a prior action from your end (e.g. application to a trip, leavers form handed in, etc.).
- Beware of e-mail spoofing and be sure that any e-mail reply clearly goes to email@example.com. Again, if you question the request in any way, please call the ISB Finance Department at +41 (0)61 567 34 21.
- For further guidance on how to protect yourself visit the website of Reporting and Analysis Centre for Information Assurance MELANI.
How to identify an ISB invoice
The following information will always be shown on an official ISB invoice:
- ISB Header: International School of the Basel Region AG, Fleischbachstrasse 2, 4153 Reinach, Switzerland, Tel. +41 61 715 33 33, Fax +41 61 715 33 15, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.isbasel.ch
- Bank information: Bank Cler AG, 4002 Basel, BC 8440, Konto 697009.290000-3, SWIFT Code BCLRCHBB / IBAN CH79 0844 0697 0092 9000 0
- Your address as per your information input in Veracross
- Your Client No.
- School Year
- Name of Student / your child and specific charge per student (e.g. Tuition Grade …, Application Fee, Enrolment Fee, ASPIRE, etc.)
ISB will not issue invoices for unspecific/general charges. ISB only issue invoices for charges according to the Financial Regulation published on the website (e.g. Tuition fee) or for courses/programs/trips etc. you actively enrolled/registered for.
- Our bank information on the payment slip including the following information:
Einzahlung für: Bank Cler AG, 4002 Basel, 8440
Zugunsten von: 697009.290000-3, Int.School of Basel Region AG, 4153 Reinach BL, IBAN CH79 0844 0697 0092 9000 0
CHF: Total amount due as above
Einbezahlt von: Your address as above
If you believe ISB's name and/or reputation has been misused in a fraudulent e-mail or other contact, please forward the unchanged Phishing e-mail and/or details to email@example.com.